Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree3Likes

Turnigy TrackStar ESC

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2016, 10:52 PM
Tech Adept

Thank you for your answers. I will move my brake endpoint

Sorry for this off topic but i don't find similar post for my ESC on onroad. Pancar 1:10 only 2WD more easy to move alone...

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYOdccTxeiM
Old 03-07-2016, 11:26 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 119 (100%+)

To the TrackStar 120A Turbo guru's... From what I've read you cannot change the motor direction. So in the case of switching from a 3 gear tranny to a 4 gear tranny what should be done? Swapping A-C motor wires or is there something I am missing?

Looking into one of these esc's, just making sure I know everything about them before I pull the trigger on one.

Thanks,
BC
Old 03-07-2016, 12:22 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bcablig
To the TrackStar 120A Turbo guru's... From what I've read you cannot change the motor direction. So in the case of switching from a 3 gear tranny to a 4 gear tranny what should be done? Swapping A-C motor wires or is there something I am missing?

Looking into one of these esc's, just making sure I know everything about them before I pull the trigger on one.

Thanks,
BC
If your swapping between 3 gear and 4 gear, no change necessary. Removing a gear reverses rotation bye itself. No worries.
Old 03-07-2016, 02:52 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by bcablig

Thanks,
BC
Which trannies? To add to thecman's comments most of the recent 4 gear transmissions flip the motor around with the spur gear on the other side of the car. Which takes care of the need for a reverse motor rotation, they still use a normal rotation motor.

If you have a deal that needs reverse rotation, the sensor harness also needs rewired. Can be done but a little tricky.
Old 03-07-2016, 03:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dave H
Which trannies? To add to thecman's comments most of the recent 4 gear transmissions flip the motor around with the spur gear on the other side of the car. Which takes care of the need for a reverse motor rotation, they still use a normal rotation motor.

If you have a deal that needs reverse rotation, the sensor harness also needs rewired. Can be done but a little tricky.
Unless I'm missing something, there is no way to re-wire the sensor cable and motor wires to get the correct firing sequence for reverse rotation, at least not for the way the sensors are arranged in the ROAR spec.

Last edited by howardcano; 03-07-2016 at 03:46 PM.
Old 03-07-2016, 05:38 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by howardcano
Unless I'm missing something, there is no way to re-wire the sensor cable and motor wires to get the correct firing sequence for reverse rotation, at least not for the way the sensors are arranged in the ROAR spec.
I'm not sure what the concern is?
Old 03-07-2016, 07:09 PM
Tech Elite

I'm not sure what the concern is?
I don't see any rearrangement of sensor wire connections and motor connections that would result in reverse rotation, given the fixed mapping of sensor inputs to motor drive outputs inside the ESC shown by the diagram I provided. If you know of a rewiring that will work, please let us know what it is.
Old 03-08-2016, 04:21 AM
Tech Champion

One item besides the wiring that needs considered for reverse rotation is the mechanical timing advance of the motor. It needs to be reversed. May be easier on some motors than others, might take some slight modding on some.

The motor A and sensor A must be kept in phase/synced with each other, same for B-B and C-C. Flip a couple phases, both main wires and sensor signal wires, so A-B-C is connected to say A-C-B at the motor. C-B-A or B-A-C also works.

This is how some of the early brushless 2wd buggy mid motor conversions were setup. If the gearbox wasn't modified to flip the topshaft and motor plate, or some variation of Paul Sinclair's X Factory 4th gear idea.
Old 03-08-2016, 08:40 AM
Tech Elite

One item besides the wiring that needs considered for reverse rotation is the mechanical timing advance of the motor. It needs to be reversed. May be easier on some motors than others, might take some slight modding on some.

The motor A and sensor A must be kept in phase/synced with each other, same for B-B and C-C. Flip a couple phases, both main wires and sensor signal wires, so A-B-C is connected to say A-C-B at the motor. C-B-A or B-A-C also works.

This is how some of the early brushless 2wd buggy mid motor conversions were setup. If the gearbox wasn't modified to flip the topshaft and motor plate, or some variation of Paul Sinclair's X Factory 4th gear idea.
Thanks, I figured I was missing something.

I was trying to get the correct sequence without needing to rotate the endbell on the motor (or maybe only a little). It appears that a 120 degree rotation would be necessary (assuming 0 degrees advance in CCW and CW rotation). That would be easy on a Novak, but could be very difficult on other brands.
Old 03-22-2016, 03:29 AM
Tech Initiate

Sorry if been asked but anybody used both x car and trackstar 120a? trying to decide which to get for 2wd buggy 10.5T
Old 03-22-2016, 02:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

Trackstar, better build quality and you can boucle back and forth between blink and mod software without reflashing the esc. Make sure your get the program box for it too.
Old 03-22-2016, 08:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pettyeagles
Trackstar, better build quality and you can boucle back and forth between blink and mod software without reflashing the esc. Make sure your get the program box for it too.
I agree. I blew out three car esc's last summer for no reason. I was trying them simply to see how they were. Actually great. Until they just quit. I've got like 9 trackstar 120A esc's with no problems with a lot of track time. The program cards are a must have, also.
Old 03-22-2016, 08:11 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pettyeagles
Best $9 you could ever spend, VERY easy to use!
Old 06-15-2016, 05:39 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

How long has the v2 120a esc been out for and what are people's thoughts?
I've only owned two Hk Esc's and have lasted less than 4 months and five cycles. X car and gen 2 respectively running 6.5t 4wd buggy
Old 06-15-2016, 12:34 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Djchow85
How long has the v2 120a esc been out for and what are people's thoughts?
I've only owned two Hk Esc's and have lasted less than 4 months and five cycles. X car and gen 2 respectively running 6.5t 4wd buggy
I've been running it for a while. A v1 80amp on 21.5 usgt. It has been great, so far undefeated on this category. Can't tell the difference between this and my 120amp HW. But the best thing is the price. I just bought a couple of v2 and still up for testing, so far they feel very nice. A lot of software options.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.